Thursday, May 27, 2010

Parental Googling--AKA, a doctor's worst nightmare

Yes, I've become "that mom"...a week has passed since we heard Kate would need open-neck surgery on her branchial cleft fistula.  Now that I have had some time to think about it, I'm flabbergasted the best treatment for this is a one-inch incision to remove a 2 cm tract.  Really?  I had to do some investigating.  I found two interesting studies, both by Texas doctors who had done a cauterization on the tract.  I'm not 100% sure either of these findings exactly parallel what Kate has, since the terminology starts to swim around on me a bit, but it seems at least worth investigating further:
AND:


So, I did what any slightly obsessive, over-protective mother would do--I contacted both these doctors and asked them more.  Dr. Green and U-M both have my fullest confidence, and if we need to do the full surgery, they're getting our business.  I just need to know I have exhausted every non-invasive, progressive option that exists and made sure it is not a fit for Kate's particular case.  Who knows, perhaps our family will pioneer the technique of cauterizing, not surgically excising, these branchial cleft abnormalities at University of Michigan hospital!!??!



No comments:

Post a Comment